Learn what you can do to protect your own mental health at work. And how you could support a co-worker who may be dealing with an episode of mental illness. For people dealing with a mild to moderate episode of mental illness, most experts recommend that they continue to work with support from their managers and colleagues.
Depression and/or anxiety can seem to come out of nowhere or can follow a very stressful time. Research shows that one in five people in Canada are likely to have at least one episode of mental illness in their lifetime, most often between the ages of 18 and 65.
The Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace standard is a voluntary Canadian standard focused on promoting employees’ psychological health and preventing psychological harm due to workplace factors. This national standard is designed to help organizations and their employees improve workplace psychological health and safety. Mental illness is a contributing factor for over 40% of long-term disability claims.
• Understand how mental illness may show up in your workplace and how you can help
• Encourage behaviours that support psychological health at work
• Discourage behaviours which reduce psychological health at work
• Learn more about depression and anxiety disorder
• Know how to support a person during and after an episode of mental illness
• Recognize your valuable role as manager, not as a therapist or diagnostician
• Be able to promote and protect the mental health of your employees
Who will Benefit:
Anyone who works with a variety of people in different situations, and who wants to enhance their own leadership skills and the productivity of their workplace. Anyone who is concerned about the psychological health and safety of their co-workers. Anyone who may have clients concerned about the psychological health and safety of their workplaces.
Not aware of Mental Health issues at work
Aware of Mental Health issues at work
The session this morning was informative, engaging, interactive and most definitely too short. You provided us with a wealth of knowledge, real life examples, and clear and precise points.
– Sharalee Joseph, CPA, Ontario
I found it impressive, and very practical having real examples and situations from day-to-day life.
– Daniela Aonigioaiei, CPA, Windsor, ON